Therry Building Wins Award

On Saturday 3 November, our new interactive learning space, “the Therry Building” won Excellence in Construction – Educational Buildings at the Master Builders Association of NSW.

The building, which formally opened in July, is the first building to open in the College master plan, establishing an innovative future for formal education while at the same time, bridging a large chasm from traditional learning to new pedagogies. The Therry Building allows for the highest quality of teaching, learning and pastoral care, underpinned by principles of sustainability. Proving an opportunity for classes to engage in a range of modes of learning, from direct or explicit instruction, large group presentations and then to self-led, solo, or small group activities.

The furniture is comfortable, colourful, engaging and welcoming, with glass and sliding doors to ensure plenty of visibility and easy supervision in the building; allowing students to move easily between indoor and outdoor learning spaces which extend into adjoining courtyards, corridors and break-out spaces. While the transparency of operating in this kind of setting has challenged some students and teachers, the end result has been an extraordinary evolution in teaching and learning.

Thanks to our partners Quasar Constructions and PMBL for bringing such a fantastic concept to fruition.

Therry Blessing and Dedication

Sunday 29 July, our community celebrated the official opening of the Therry Building with a Blessing and Dedication Ceremony.
The building is named in honour of Fr John Joseph Therry (1790 – 1864), a pioneer priest of Australia whose generous bequest enabled the Irish Jesuits to acquire the lands upon which Saint Ignatius’ College Riverview is built.

Thanks to the Very Reverend Fr Brian McCoy, SJ – Australian Provincial, Fr Jack McLain, SJ – College Rector, Dr Paul Hine – Principal and Fr Tom Renshaw, SJ – Chair of JEA for a remarkable day which will mark a significant moment in our history.

The New Therry Building

28 May 2018, marked a significant day in Saint Ignatius’ College Riverview’s history as our students moved into the brand new Therry Building. As the frontispiece of the Ignis Project, the new Therry Building is striking and modern in aesthetic, and designed to house agile, interactive and multi-modal learning facilities.
Comprising 24 contemporary learning spaces with natural light and flexible open areas, the new Therry Building is home to four faculties, equipped with generous staff areas and six House areas to ensure complementarity between teaching and pastoral care, with facilities for support, counselling, learning and socialising. An upgrade of surrounding landscapes has also seen better integration with its surrounds and a sense of space, while providing further opportunities for outdoor learning.

The opening of the new Therry building in 2018 marked the beginning of the Ignis Project, an exciting new era at Saint Ignatius’ College Riverview.

“This building represents an evolution of Riverview’s approach to learning… we need to ensure that our approaches to learning provide the right skills for our young people to manage their world, and more for us, as Ignatian educators, we want our young people to be prepared to change the world.

Our vision here is very clear. We are reshaping Riverview into a centre of learning which is innovative, creative and ready for the next 20 years of teaching and learning.”

Russell Newman, Deputy Principal Teaching & Learning

Therry Building Timelapse FINAL from Saint Ignatius College Riverview on Vimeo.